The history of my Autococker Infosheet is somewhat interesting. I started it long ago as something of an Autococker FAQ document I would post to the rec.sports.paintball newsgroup. There were two problems, though. First, there already was an Autococker FAQ out there. I didn´t really like the FAQ format, though. It struck me as both incomplete (limiting itself to only frequently asked questions) and haphazard in organization. What I wanted to write was a complete Autococker guide that covered all topics of Autococker maintenance, upgrading, and troubleshooting in a logical, easy-to-understand format.
As "Autococker FAQ" was already taken as a name and really wasn´t even right for what I had in mind, I came up with the word "Infosheet" for my Autococker document. Though it was fairly descriptive, I really thought that "Infosheet" was kind of a stupid word, but that it would just have to do as a place-holder until I came up with something better. Sadly, I never thought of anything better and the word has been shamelessly copied by countless imagination-deprived paintball web-authors out there, not least of which being several other "Autococker Infosheets" that have sprung up in the wake of my own. I suppose I should take it as flattery.
Anyhow, the original Autococker Infosheet was long, but quickly became heralded as one of the most complete documents on the subject of Autococker upgrading and maintenance. What´s most embarassing is just how much of it was dead wrong. Over time, I corrected most of the stuff which was simply inexcusably incorrect and added more as my experience with and knowledge of the Autococker grew. Eventually, I had to give up on posting it to the newsgroup and post it to the web. Having a place to post the Autococker Infosheet is, in fact, the sole reason I originally started my web site.
What you find before you now is just the latest iteration of a work-in-progress. It is my most ambitious project, the most popular part of my web site, and likely the bit of writing of which I am most proud. I hope you find it useful and/or helpful.
I want to make it very clear that this is absolutely loaded with my opinions and the results of personal experience. I do not claim to be any sort of Autococker expert. I'm just an experienced user and tinkerer. I've spent quite a lot of time with an Autococker now and have probably run into most modifications and problems associated with it (certainly most of the problems). I sure wish I'd have had some of this information when I bought my first ´cocker.
Quick term definition before I start. When I talk about something decreasing gas efficiency, I mean that when the modification is installed/performed, the gun shoots at a lower velocity than at the same setting on the stock gun, or that it takes more gas to perform the same action (cock the gun, fire at the same velocity, etc.). The opposite is obviously true when I describe an increase in efficiency.